- Digital Programs
Jewish Resources at UC Berkeley
The UC Berkeley Campus has a very vibrant Jewish academic and student life. Ranging from an active student life to rigorous academic programs, UC Berkeley also offers world-class collections and research resources right here on Campus.
To find out what Jewish and Israel related events are taking place, please consult the calendar below.
For more information about the different organizations on campus, please scroll down to the bottom of the page.
A list of academic, professional and social resources for students, researchers and the community.
UC Berkeley Academic Programs
- The Jewish Studies Program at UC Berkeley Here you can find information regarding the Jewish Studies Department's Ph.D. Program, their Undergraduate Minor Program, academic grants and scholarship opportunities and Department news.
- The Berkeley Institute for Jewish Law and Israeli Law, Economy and Society The Berkeley Institute is an interdisciplinary initiative to expand Jewish and Israel Studies offerings at Berkeley coordinated by members of the faculties of Economics, Comparative Literature, History, Jewish Studies, Music, Political Science, and Sociology, as well as the Law and Business Schools. The Institutes' two initiatives – one on the study of Jewish law, and one on the study of Israel – both serve undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty, through academic support, curricular development, and public programming. The Institute's Israel studies program is the first institution on the Berkeley campus dedicated to the study of Israel.
- The UC Berkeley Center for Middle Eastern Studies Here you can find information about UC Berkeley's Middle Eastern Studies program, including undergraduate major info, grant and scholarship opportunities and faculty contact info.
Research Institutions and Collections
- The Magnes Collection of Jewish Art and Life. This is one of the preeminent Jewish collections in the world, the Magnes provides highly innovative and accessible resources to both visitors and scholars with an interest in Jewish culture, history, and art. Its remarkably diverse archive, library and museum holdings include art, objects, texts, music, and historical documents about the Jews in the Global Diaspora and the American West.
- The Robbins Collection at the Boalt School of Law. The Robbins Collection is an international center for comparative legal and historical studies that is housed at the Boalt School of Law at UC Berkeley. Here you can find information about upcoming events and the history of the collection itself.
- The UC Berkeley Judaica Collection. Here you can find information about the UC Berkeley Library's Judaica collection, including aquisitions and contact info.
- Jewish Studies Program at the Graduate Theological Union. Here you can find information regarding UC Berkeley and the Graduate Theological Union's joint Jewish Studies Ph.D. program.
- The Berkeley Jewish Student Union. The Jewish Student Union is an ASUC Student Group at UC Berkeley that acts as an umbrella orginization for the myriad Jewish student groups at Cal. Here you can find information about upcoming JSU events and JSU member group info.
Community Resources in the East Bay
- Hillel Jewish Student Center. Hillel is a nationwide resource for students and faculty alike. Here you can find information about Berkeley's own chapter of Hillel including upcoming events, Shabbat information, volunteer opportunities and religious resources.
- Chabad Jewish Student Center - the heart of Jewish campus Life! Open all year round, we provide each and every Jewish student with a home away from home at Cal. Stop by for an authentic delicious home cooked Shabbat meal experience or one of our many on-going classes and events. Even if you've had little or no prior experience, not to worry! The atmosphere at Chabad is warm, welcoming and non-judgmental, and you'll always walk away with a full stomach! You don't need a reservation, so just show up with a friend and your appetite.
- The Jewish Federation of the East Bay. Here you can find information regarding the Jewish Federation and their upcoming events, grant opportunities and other local initiatives.
- The East Bay Jewish Community Center. Here you can find information regarding the East Bay's JCC and their services and upcoming events.