- Digital Programs
The Jewish Community Center of Berkeley was first a branch of the Oakland Jewish Community Center founded in 1951.
San Francisco's Young Men's Hebrew Association (YMHA) was formed in 1877, and the city's Young Women's Hebrew Association (YWHA) was formed in 1914. They combined in 1924.
The Jewish Council of 1933, Inc. was created by a group of refugees from Nazi Germany in San Francisco to reaffirm their faith in democracy and to help each other acclimate and assimilate.
The Jewish Federation of the Sacramento Region was created in 1921 and incorporated in 1948.
Abraham Jonas was born in Rogasen, Posen, Germany in 1855 to Rev. Joachim and Amalia (Dresner) Jonas. He immigrated to the United States when he was 18 and moved to Oakland, California in 1875.
Israel Kahn (1822-1883), who married Sarah Bauer (1828-1888), founded Kahn's Department Store in Oakland, Calif.
The collection consists of copies of various materials that Kenneth Kann compiled and used while doing research for his books about the Jewish community in Petaluma, Calif., including the titles
J. M. Kelber, whose family came from Russia, lived in Northern California. Kelber served as the chairman of the Israel Committee and of the Israel Bond Drive (1954-1961).
Emanuel Kline was the first judge and prosecuting attorney in Jarbidge, Nev. (1910).